Full Frontal Lobotomy

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Full Frontal Lobotomy
Full Frontal Lobotomy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New fathers treated for PTS after seeing their children born

+4
Dimples
Mama kaz
Melfi
Ali
8 posters

Go down

New fathers treated for PTS after seeing their children born Empty New fathers treated for PTS after seeing their children born

Post by Ali Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:15 pm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2308872/New-fathers-treated-POST-TRAUMATIC-STRESS-witnessing-partners-birth.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

New fathers are being left so traumatised after watching their partners give birth that some are diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder, according to a new study.

Severe and life-threatening complications in pregnancy can have a big impact on fathers as well as mothers, experts have found.

Oxford University researchers interviewed men about their experiences after their partners experienced complications during birth.

Many told of being left alone in hospital corridors with no clue of what was happening.

Birth can be traumatic for all involved but when it comes to complications, especially if they are life threatening, i'm afraid the mothers needs come first as they must. With staff shortages in many maternity hospitals most of the staff are likely to be involved in dealing with whatever the issue is and fathers will be pushed aside for that, there just may not be time for a member of staff to stand there explaining what is going on to the father at the time.

It may not be right, but it's a fact but I do think the article is right that there should be some form of counselling available afterwards for fathers who have gone through this so they can come to terms with it.

Either that or we go back to the days when fathers weren't in the delivery rooms.
Ali
Ali
Admin

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

New fathers treated for PTS after seeing their children born Empty Re: New fathers treated for PTS after seeing their children born

Post by Mama kaz Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:44 pm

My ex suffered more than me when I had a very traumatic birth with my daughter, I wasn't taking much in and though I knew the alarms went off etc it was him watching their faces etc and realising just how worried they all were... He was definitely freaked out by it all.
Mama kaz
Mama kaz
Admin

Back to top Go down

New fathers treated for PTS after seeing their children born Empty Re: New fathers treated for PTS after seeing their children born

Post by Ali Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:05 am

Dimples wrote:There's generally not much need for fathers to be down at the business end when their partner is delivering a baby so they can usually miss out on most of the gore.

I think for many though, it is the apparent (or real) distress that many women go through which is in turn difficult for their husbands/partners to cope with. It's worth bearing in mind though that for a lot of women, although they seem to be in enormous distress or pain, it is often just the sheer physical effort of delivering the baby which makes it look so acutely traumatic for them.

This article wasn't so much about the gore though, it was about fathers being left out of the loop when things go wrong, for example being left wondering what the hell is going on if the partner is rushed into theatre for a crash section.
Ali
Ali
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:25 am

Dimples wrote:
Ali wrote:
Dimples wrote:There's generally not much need for fathers to be down at the business end when their partner is delivering a baby so they can usually miss out on most of the gore.

I think for many though, it is the apparent (or real) distress that many women go through which is in turn difficult for their husbands/partners to cope with. It's worth bearing in mind though that for a lot of women, although they seem to be in enormous distress or pain, it is often just the sheer physical effort of delivering the baby which makes it look so acutely traumatic for them.

This article wasn't so much about the gore though, it was about fathers being left out of the loop when things go wrong, for example being left wondering what the hell is going on if the partner is rushed into theatre for a crash section.

I know but I still just wanted to make that point as it's relevant to the topic as a while. I know it can be difficult when things go pear-shaped and the poor father is just left feeling like a bit of a spare part.

My brother went through this very scenario. He became a dad for the first time at age 45 and it was entirely a shock. His partner had a very prolonged labour which became an emergency C section due to a shoulder presentation and one of the baby's feet was up at her shoulder too and became stuck. Fortunately his partner had had a spinal and was conscious throughout, so he was able to remain with her and see their daughter safely delivered but he was utterly shell-shocked by it all. However, as soon as she was delivered and seen to be breathing unaided, the first thing they did was stick her inside his shirt for skin-to-skin contact with him and I think that was the best thing they could have done as his partner was far more "in control" than he was feeling at that point.

Yeah, that's why I agree there should be some sort of counselling for the father and the mum if she wants it after a situation like that.

I remember a case where a woman started haemorrhaging after delivery, the poor father was almost manhandled into the chair with the baby whilst everyone got to work, his face was as white as the blanket round the baby but of course there just wasn't the time to stand there explaining to him what was going on, the staff had a life to save.

Your brothers case sounds like the staff were thinking on their feet though, it gave him something to concentrate on other than what had just happened.
Ali
Ali
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gabby Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:37 am

I'd need counselling too I reckon, watching someone push a plum through a pea shooter!

Gabby

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:38 am

Gabby wrote:I'd need counselling too I reckon, watching someone push a plum through a pea shooter!

It's quite fascinating, the head looks like a big walnut on it's way down. Laughing
Ali
Ali
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gabby Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:43 am

Ali wrote:
Gabby wrote:I'd need counselling too I reckon, watching someone push a plum through a pea shooter!

It's quite fascinating, the head looks like a big walnut on it's way down. Laughing

Gross!... no wonder they suffer PTS FFS!

Gabby

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:45 am

Gabby wrote:
Ali wrote:

Yeah, but as Dimps said they don't really need to be down the business end as it's happening. Laughing
Ali
Ali
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gabby Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:46 am

Ali wrote:
Gabby wrote:
Ali wrote:

Yeah, but as Dimps said they don't really need to be down the business end as it's happening. Laughing

They're just nosy, sadistic fookers!

Gabby

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:48 am

Terry Fuckwit wrote:It's not all it cracked up to be to be fair! Laughing

Easy for you to say when you're not the one going through it Smile
Ali
Ali
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:08 am

I enjoyed being at the birth of my son. It remains one of my most treasured memories.

Admin
Admin

https://fullfrontallabotomy.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum