Full Frontal Lobotomy

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Full Frontal Lobotomy
Full Frontal Lobotomy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Compensation for cops.

+3
Ali
Admin
Syl
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Compensation for cops. Empty Re: Compensation for cops.

Post by Admin Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:40 am

Syl wrote:Lately I have read of 3 or 4 different cases of cops claiming for compensation. One was for a cut finger, another tripped over a step, both whilst on duty.
Should not these minor hazzards be part and parcel of a policemans/womans lot?

I would have thought so. If you get a paper cut in the office you don't normally sue the company. Dunno

Admin
Admin

https://fullfrontallabotomy.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:45 am

Syl wrote:It wasn't a paper cut...woman cop cut her hand trying to open a window where the owner was growing weed...she was disorientated by the smell apparantly.

roflmao I don't believe that for a start.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:53 am

Syl wrote:
Henry wrote:
Syl wrote:It wasn't a paper cut...woman cop cut her hand trying to open a window where the owner was growing weed...she was disorientated by the smell apparantly.

Free high = disorientated by smell.

Another cop sued a home owner because he (cop) tripped up over a step as he was investigating a burglary. I think the case may have been dropped when it recieved a lot of negative publicity.
The midlands force alone paid out almost a million £ last year in compensation claims from police officers. One claim was for a fleabite.

Employers do have a duty of care to ensure the safety of their employees but short of not allowing your officers to enter someone's home, how do you protect them against getting bitten by a flea?

I suppose they could be provided with insect repellant Laughing
Ali
Ali
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:00 am

Syl wrote:
Ali wrote:
Syl wrote:
Henry wrote:

Another cop sued a home owner because he (cop) tripped up over a step as he was investigating a burglary. I think the case may have been dropped when it recieved a lot of negative publicity.
The midlands force alone paid out almost a million £ last year in compensation claims from police officers. One claim was for a fleabite.

Employers do have a duty of care to ensure the safety of their employees but short of not allowing your officers to enter someone's home, how do you protect them against getting bitten by a flea?

The thing is with police officers they may face unforseen or unexpected risks...thats part and parcel of their job surely.

If a home owner is burgled and rings the police he shouldn't have to worry about them suing him because they have tripped up over a step surely.

No way, the copper should watch where they are going.
Ali
Ali
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:00 am

Syl wrote:
Ali wrote:
Syl wrote:
Henry wrote:

The thing is with police officers they may face unforseen or unexpected risks...thats part and parcel of their job surely.

If a home owner is burgled and rings the police he shouldn't have to worry about them suing him because they have tripped up over a step surely.

That would be my thinking.

Sounds like the cops have found a new way to top up their wages. Much like MPs.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Snookerballs Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:02 am

Syl wrote:
Ali wrote:
Syl wrote:

A Home owner has the responsibility to ensure that anyone Invited or required to enter their property can do so safely and without injury.
Snookerballs
Snookerballs

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:04 am

Snookerballs wrote:
Syl wrote:
Ali wrote:
Syl wrote:

A Home owner has the responsibility to ensure that anyone Invited or required to enter their property can do so safely and without injury.

I didn't know that. Fortunately I rarely require the cops to enter my home. Laughing

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Snookerballs Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:33 am

Syl wrote:
Snookerballs wrote:
Syl wrote:

I imagine if a home owner has been robbed or attacked and lying on the floor in a ransacked house cut and bleeding ...making sure the rooms are well lit for clumsy coppers who dont look where they are going is pretty far down on their list of priorities SB.

You have changed the scenario, under the circumstances you have just mentioned they would be covered by their Police Insurance, they would be undertaking a humanitarian act, whereas the Policewoman that fell over the step was requested by the Garage owner to investigate a possible break in, but was not warned there was a dangerous step.
If you go into a Shop /Supermarket or any other property that invites the Public in, the owner has, under the Health and Safety Law to place a warning sign to inform the public that there is a hazard i.e Wet Floor, broken floor tile etc.
Why should the Police entering a property be any different ??
Snookerballs
Snookerballs

Back to top Go down

Post by Snookerballs Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:23 am

Taken wrote:
Snookerballs wrote:
Syl wrote:

I imagine if a home owner has been robbed or attacked and lying on the floor in a ransacked house cut and bleeding ...making sure the rooms are well lit for clumsy coppers who dont look where they are going is pretty far down on their list of priorities SB.

You have changed the scenario, under the circumstances you have just mentioned they would be covered by their Police Insurance, they would be undertaking a humanitarian act, whereas the Policewoman that fell over the step was requested by the Garage owner to investigate a possible break in, but was not warned there was a dangerous step.
If you go into a Shop /Supermarket or any other property that invites the Public in, the owner has, under the Health and Safety Law to place a warning sign to inform the public that there is a hazard i.e Wet Floor, broken floor tile etc.

The police are well aware of what the job entails when they sign up and it's a shame a small minority make silly claims since there needs to be compensation schemes for those injured in the line of duty. Regarding suing homeowners, sometimes it's a legal requirement that such action must be taken first, even though it will fail. I'm reminded of the girl paralysed after diving into a pool who had to sue her friend before she could proceed with action against the NHS trust.

So you think that the Police and other Emergency services should accept being injured or disabled whilst on duty,
no one knows what these claims entailed they are just reported in the news media as frivolous, i.e. the flea bite could have caused an allergic reaction that caused the Police Officer a considerable amount of pain and meant they were placed on sick leave, hence losing part of their wage.
There have been cases of Postmen having their fingers broken due to unsafe letterboxes.
Again should these Public workers have to lose their pay because of the unconsiderate Public at large.
Snookerballs
Snookerballs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:35 am

You been in Wales Syl?
Weathers been great but still some small pockets of snow about.

Back to top Go down

Post by Snookerballs Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:21 am

Syl wrote:
Snookerballs wrote:
Syl wrote:

There are lots of different scenarios....like I mentioned one police force alone paid out over £900,000 last year in compensation claims made by their own staff.

Policing is by it's very nature a job with risks....if they wanted a job with no risk attached maybe they should apply for a desk job.

Policing is by its very nature a job with risks ..... And they should be adequately compensated if they are injured and unable to carry out the job they are expected to do
All Accidents are preventable.
Snookerballs
Snookerballs

Back to top Go down

Post by Snookerballs Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:43 am

Syl wrote:
Snookerballs wrote:
Syl wrote:

There are lots of different scenarios....like I mentioned one police force alone paid out over £900,000 last year in compensation claims made by their own staff.

Policing is by it's very nature a job with risks....if they wanted a job with no risk attached maybe they should apply for a desk job.

Policing is by its very nature a job with risks ..... And they should be adequately compensated if they are injured and unable to carry out the job they are expected to do
All Accidents are preventable.

Adequately compensated...eight grand for a flea bite...look up some of the links outlining the ridiculous claims that some police feel they should be compensated for. Unfortunately some seem to have jumped onto the compensation culture bandwagon.....and guess who ultimately pays for their ridiculous claims??

As I said before one does not know the extent the person suffered through the flea bite, the News Media did not report any facts,Because that side of it is not news.
Compensation claims go through legal Inquiries and very strict medical checks on both sides until a figure is finalised.
Thats why Emergency Service Personnel pay into their Accident and Welfare Scheme.
Snookerballs
Snookerballs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:50 am

Syl wrote:
jackb wrote:You been in Wales Syl?
Weathers been great but still some small pockets of snow about.

Yes we went Wed and came back last night Jack....yesterday was a beautiful beach day...we got a tan.
And yes going we noticed there were still some pockets of snow on the hills....very picturesque, I love N Wales.
Glad you enjoyed it.
You timed it just right for the start of nice weather.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum