Full Frontal Lobotomy

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Full Frontal Lobotomy
Full Frontal Lobotomy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bedroom Tax Blamed For Woman's Suicide

+3
Jack
NAA
Hickey
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Bedroom Tax Blamed For Woman's Suicide Empty Bedroom Tax Blamed For Woman's Suicide

Post by Guest Sun May 12, 2013 12:13 pm

Bedroom Tax Blamed For Woman's Suicide Cs40955016stephanie-bottrill-be-2-1-522x293

A woman who committed suicide left a note blaming the Government's so-called bedroom tax for her death.

Stephanie Bottrill killed herself earlier this month, and wrote in her final letter: "I don't [blame] anyone for me death expect [sic] the government."

Her son Steven, 27, said she was struggling to cope after being told to pay £20-a-week extra for two under-occupied bedrooms at her home in Solihull.

He told the Sunday People: "I couldn't believe it. She said not to blame ourselves, it was the Government and what they were doing that caused her to do it.

"She was fine before this bedroom tax. It was dreamt up in London, by people living in offices and big houses. They have no idea the effect it has on people like my mum."

Ms Bottrill, 53, died 10 days ago.

In the days running up to her death she told neighbours: "I can't afford to live any more."

Solihull Council Labour group leader David Jamieson, who knows the family well, said: "I'm absolutely appalled this poor lady has taken her own life because she was worried how she would pay the bedroom tax.

"I hope the Government will sit up and take notice and reconsider this policy."

The bedroom tax means people of a working age in social housing who have a spare bedroom will find housing benefit claims reduced by £40 to £80 a month.

Ms Bottrill had lived in her £320-a-month home for 18 years as she raised her son and daughter, but could not cope with the extra £80 she had to find every month.

Mr Bottrill said his mother wanted to work, but there was no way she could.

As a child she was diagnosed with the auto-immune system deficiency, Myasthenia gravis.

The illness made her weak and she had to take constant medication.

Doctors had told her she was too ill to hold down a job, but she had never been registered as disabled, so she lived without disability benefit.

Sky's political correspondent Sophy Ridge said: "Downing Street isn't commenting on what it says is a personal matter but clearly this will lead to calls for the policy to be changed.

"Downing Street knows it is controversial. That's why some amendments have been made to the policy already, saying armed services personnel and foster carers won't be affected.

"Iain Duncan Smith, the Work and Pensions Secretary, has argued consistently that he thinks this policy is a fair one, but certainly I think this row is going to keep going.

http://news.sky.com/story/1089813/bedroom-tax-blamed-for-womans-suicide

....Get these Tory bastards out and levy a mansion tax!...FFS they are giving millionaires tax cuts at the expense of the poorest in society!...They know that they will lose the next election but we have another two years of this fcuking shit but people could stand up against these RW cretins before that!

Back to top Go down

Bedroom Tax Blamed For Woman's Suicide Empty Re: Bedroom Tax Blamed For Woman's Suicide

Post by Guest Sun May 12, 2013 12:15 pm

....Can someone assassinate Ian Duncan Smith please Cool

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Bedroom Tax Blamed For Woman's Suicide Empty Re: Bedroom Tax Blamed For Woman's Suicide

Post by Ali Mon May 13, 2013 1:59 am

We could easily build a whole new town or three in this country without making any real impact on the amount of land in this country left for grazing and growing crops.

Vast swathes of the countryside in the UK aren't touched for year after year after year. They don't even get used for hay anymore.

I'm not necessarily suggesting we do that but there certainly is room to build new social housing developments. They seem to be able to find enough land to build huge private developments quickly enough.
Ali
Ali
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali Mon May 13, 2013 2:39 am

NAA wrote:
Ali wrote:We could easily build a whole new town or three in this country without making any real impact on the amount of land in this country left for grazing and growing crops.

Vast swathes of the countryside in the UK aren't touched for year after year after year. They don't even get used for hay anymore.

I'm not necessarily suggesting we do that but there certainly is room to build new social housing developments. They seem to be able to find enough land to build huge private developments quickly enough.

Chances are those vast swathes of country side belong to the Estate of some member of the Royal Family... or member of the Great British Aristocracy.

England is now a consumer society of course they wont be used to grow hay, ship it in from a few thousand miles away... It now even seems logical and normal to me that I ship in Hay from Croatia and Woodshavings from Germany...... Wood for the fire from Bulgaria..

I just discovered most of the *Greek herbs* used to manufacture the famous Korres brand of natural cosmetics are actually grown in Switzerland. Then shipped to Greece. The trucks driving past mile after mile of wild chamomile, thyme.... lavender, mint...

I'm sure there were really persuasive arguments for a lot of the completely STUPID illogical shit we now accept as perfectly normal... everyone expects to speak to an Indian in Mumbai when calling a help desk....

Most of it belongs to farmers who are just leaving it sitting idle if they aren't selling it off to private developers for a huge pay day bonus.

One of the arguments I've heard is that if we build more housing developments we will run out of land to use to grow crops and graze animals to feed the people in this country, well that's bollox for a start when much of our foodstuff is imported.
Ali
Ali
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali Mon May 13, 2013 3:05 am

NAA wrote:
Ali wrote:
NAA wrote:
Ali wrote:We could easily build a whole new town or three in this country without making any real impact on the amount of land in this country left for grazing and growing crops.

Chances are those vast swathes of country side belong to the Estate of some member of the Royal Family... or member of the Great British Aristocracy.

England is now a consumer society of course they wont be used to grow hay, ship it in from a few thousand miles away... It now even seems logical and normal to me that I ship in Hay from Croatia and Woodshavings from Germany...... Wood for the fire from Bulgaria..

I just discovered most of the *Greek herbs* used to manufacture the famous Korres brand of natural cosmetics are actually grown in Switzerland. Then shipped to Greece. The trucks driving past mile after mile of wild chamomile, thyme.... lavender, mint...

I'm sure there were really persuasive arguments for a lot of the completely STUPID illogical shit we now accept as perfectly normal... everyone expects to speak to an Indian in Mumbai when calling a help desk....

Most of it belongs to farmers who are just leaving it sitting idle if they aren't selling it off to private developers for a huge pay day bonus.

One of the arguments I've heard is that if we build more housing developments we will run out of land to use to grow crops and graze animals to feed the people in this country, well that's bollox for a start when much of our foodstuff is imported.
You cant just take a farmer's land from him though if he owns it, paid for it and pays tax on it. Land is a resource, you may not plant on it this decade, century even, but it can be utilized to supply food at any time, build on it, and its gone.

No, I'm not suggesting we do, but if he's selling some of it and many have, why not build some social housing estates to ease the crisis as well as private developments.

In fact, there are some 700,000 properties sitting empty in this country just going to rack and ruin, redevelop them first and rent them out before building whole new estates.

Ali
Ali
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali Mon May 13, 2013 3:07 am

NAA wrote:BTW another one of those fascinating decisions politicians made that eventually became normal, pay farmers to leave their fields empty, buy crops from thousands of miles away..

If a guy in a suit knocked on your door tomorrow and said. listen, would you mind awfully not going to work? you will be paid, but really, we would prefer you didn't go. So you say, well no, Ive always worked, I like it, I want to work. my parents worked there too and their parents and theirs, no fcuk you Im going to work..

So you are told, OK but you will be fined a very large sum of money for every day you work....

Well there you go NAA, it just goes to show how pathetic it all is.
Ali
Ali
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mama kaz Mon May 13, 2013 4:41 am

Most farmers have already 'sold' buildable land to builders... The builder them holds the 'right to build' there, he may not choose to do so for 50 years but they have the rights to it. The farmer got a lovely lump sum for the land.
Mama kaz
Mama kaz
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali Mon May 13, 2013 7:59 am

Peas, I've noticed how the price of those has soared Shocked
Ali
Ali
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali Mon May 13, 2013 8:14 am

I'm not worried about those, hate them, but peas are almost the only vegetable I eat and they have to be petit pois at that Laughing
Ali
Ali
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 13, 2013 8:36 am

NAA wrote:
philagain wrote:....Can someone assassinate Ian Duncan Smith please Cool
Fortunately Political Assassination is quite rare in the UK..

I saw your flounce from dogs on the Andrea Borman thread! Giggle

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 13, 2013 8:44 am

Jack wrote:I'm a bit pissed/

roflmao ...I think you should invite Andrea here Jack!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next