Full Frontal Lobotomy

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Full Frontal Lobotomy
Full Frontal Lobotomy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gonorrhoea Sex Superbug 'Worse than Aids'

3 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Gonorrhoea Sex Superbug 'Worse than Aids' Empty Gonorrhoea Sex Superbug 'Worse than Aids'

Post by Guest Wed May 08, 2013 6:42 am

A new antibiotic-resistant form of gonorrhoea first detected in a female sex worker in Japan two years ago has the potential to be as deadly as the Aids virus.

Gonorrhoea HO41 bacteria has also been found in Hawaii, California and Norway, and "the potential for disaster is great", William Smith of the US National Coalition of STD Directors (NCSD), told CNBC.

"It's an emergency situation," Mr Smith warned. "As time moves on, it's getting more hazardous."

"This strain is a very tricky bug and we don't have anything medically to fight it right now."

The new strain of gonorrhoea resists existing drugs and the NCSD has asked the US government for an extra $53million (£34m) in funding to prepare for the future.

"This might be a lot worse than Aids in the short run because the bacteria is more aggressive and will affect more people quickly," Alan Christianson, a doctor of naturopathic medicine, told CNBC.

"Getting gonorrhoea from this strain might put someone into septic shock and death in a matter of days," he claimed.

Gonorrhoea can cause pelvic inflammatory disease, ectopic pregnancy and infertility. The disease is the second most commonly reported sexually transmitted infection in North America.

Professor Dame Sally Davies, England's Chief Medical Officer, recently advised the Government to add the threat of drug-resistant gonorrhoea to the civil emergencies risk register.

"We have seen a worrying rise in cases of drug resistant gonorrhoea over the last decade," Professor Davies told Sky News.

"Antimicrobial resistance to common drugs will increasingly threaten our ability to tackle infections and the Health Protection Agency's work is vital to addressing this threat."

Gonorrhoea can be hard to detect, without obvious blisters or pain. It shows no symptoms in 50% of women, and 5% of men.

Professor Cathy Ison, head of the National Reference Laboratory for Gonorrhoea which is part of Public Health England, told the Today programme: "Hopefully by raising awareness we can at least buy some time and look at new ways in which we can prevent it from becoming untreatable."

"But there is a possibility that if we don't do something then it could become untreatable by 2015."

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/464859/20130506/gonorrhoea-sex-superbug-aids-virus.htm

affraid ...People need to be careful if they are having casual sex as they are not aware of a partners sexual history.

Back to top Go down

Gonorrhoea Sex Superbug 'Worse than Aids' Empty Re: Gonorrhoea Sex Superbug 'Worse than Aids'

Post by Ali Wed May 08, 2013 6:49 am

So they've controlled HIV to a point and now something else is cropping up. That doesn't surprise me tbh, medicine always faces challenges.
Ali
Ali
Admin

Back to top Go down

Gonorrhoea Sex Superbug 'Worse than Aids' Empty Re: Gonorrhoea Sex Superbug 'Worse than Aids'

Post by Guest Wed May 08, 2013 7:08 am

Ali wrote:So they've controlled HIV to a point and now something else is cropping up. That doesn't surprise me tbh, medicine always faces challenges.

They are bringing out new drugs there and getting patients to dump the old ones scratch scratch scratch ..These drugs are very expensive.....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 08, 2013 7:09 am

..Perhaps there is something in the new drugs to kill people off a bit quicker Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali Wed May 08, 2013 7:10 am

I suppose though with something like HIV they need to keep adapting the drugs as the disease itself can adapt.
Ali
Ali
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 08, 2013 7:15 am

Ali wrote:I suppose though with something like HIV they need to keep adapting the drugs as the disease itself can adapt.

Perhaps.....The side effects to these drugs make life difficult for patients anyway Sad ...Cannabis is supposed to be very good in treating various cancers etc and my partner used to smoke it all the time and never had any problems...The big pharma institutions wouldn't like to encourage that though as it would eat into their profits.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali Wed May 08, 2013 7:18 am

I don't know about cannabis being good for cancers but it is good for people with MS. A trial a while ago showed it really helped with tremors and bladder problems but I can't see our government condoning it's use in medicine.

I did hear that the anti-viral side effects weren't nice, but don't really know much more than that tbh.
Ali
Ali
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 08, 2013 7:26 am

Ali wrote:I don't know about cannabis being good for cancers but it is good for people with MS. A trial a while ago showed it really helped with tremors and bladder problems but I can't see our government condoning it's use in medicine.

I did hear that the anti-viral side effects weren't nice, but don't really know much more than that tbh.

I watched a documentary about cannabis once and apparently it was only outlawed because of the pharma industries and they saw it as a threat..Anything as natural as the cannabis plant has to be better than something produced in a lab imo

Side effects of anti viral drugs include insomnia..constant itching all over the body...constant back pain..failing eye sight..problems with the legs where you can't walk for five minutes without being in constant pain....This leads to depression as well Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali Wed May 08, 2013 7:31 am

philagain wrote:
Ali wrote:I don't know about cannabis being good for cancers but it is good for people with MS. A trial a while ago showed it really helped with tremors and bladder problems but I can't see our government condoning it's use in medicine.

I watched a documentary about cannabis once and apparently it was only outlawed because of the pharma industries and they saw it as a threat..Anything as natural as the cannabis plant has to be better than something produced in a lab imo

Side effects of anti viral drugs include insomnia..constant itching all over the body...constant back pain..failing eye sight..problems with the legs where you can't walk for five minutes without being in constant pain....This leads to depression as well Sad

Oh for sure they would see it as a threat, i'm surprised they haven't tried to cash in on it tbh.

Oh god, those side effects aren't nice, must be awful to need to take something that makes you feel crap just in order to remain healthy. It kind of goes against the whole point of taking medication really.

They are pretty potent as I understand it though.
Ali
Ali
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 08, 2013 7:37 am

Ali wrote:
philagain wrote:

Oh for sure they would see it as a threat, i'm surprised they haven't tried to cash in on it tbh.

Oh god, those side effects aren't nice, must be awful to need to take something that makes you feel crap just in order to remain healthy. It kind of goes against the whole point of taking medication really.

They are pretty potent as I understand it though.

The new ones being introduced at this time are even more potent than the last ones..bloody confusing as well for anyone that has failing eye sight and can't read the small printing etc Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 08, 2013 7:40 am

Oh.....and they are cutting back on consultation now and get private companies to deliver the drugs direct to peoples homes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali Wed May 08, 2013 7:41 am

philagain wrote:Oh.....and they are cutting back on consultation now and get private companies to deliver the drugs direct to peoples homes.

Won't that just drive up the cost?
Ali
Ali
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 08, 2013 7:46 am

Ali wrote:
philagain wrote:Oh.....and they are cutting back on consultation now and get private companies to deliver the drugs direct to peoples homes.

Won't that just drive up the cost?

fcuk knows what they are up to!...I've never been into conspiracy theories but i'm starting to think differently in this case.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 08, 2013 7:51 am

....The start of the privatisation of the NHS Dunno

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali Wed May 08, 2013 7:54 am

No, I don't think so, it's only a private company delivering the drugs. Be a bit worrying if a patient get a combination meant for someone else though.
Ali
Ali
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 08, 2013 7:58 am

I'm of the opinion that there will be no welfare state or NHS in the future..We will go the way of the US...What do we pay national insurance contributions for!

...Some other kind of levy will be brought in i'm sure.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 08, 2013 7:59 am

Ali wrote:No, I don't think so, it's only a private company delivering the drugs. Be a bit worrying if a patient get a combination meant for someone else though.

They deliver them in sealed boxes with the patients name and address on.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali Wed May 08, 2013 8:03 am

So who used to deliver them before?
Ali
Ali
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 08, 2013 8:06 am

Ali wrote:So who used to deliver them before?

They were never delivered...You would pick them up from the hospital pharmacy after consultation........ Mad ...Are they going to get rid of hospital pharmacy front line staff?

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali Wed May 08, 2013 8:11 am

philagain wrote:

They were never delivered...You would pick them up from the hospital pharmacy after consultation........ Mad ...Are they going to get rid of hospital pharmacy front line staff?

There isn't really such a thing as frontline staff as such in a hospital pharmacy as far as I'm aware Phil. It isn't quite the same as having staff working behind the counter in somewhere like Boots.
Ali
Ali
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 08, 2013 8:15 am

Ali wrote:
philagain wrote:

There isn't really such a thing as frontline staff as such in a hospital pharmacy as far as I'm aware Phil. It isn't quite the same as having staff working behind the counter in somewhere like Boots.

I don't know what qualifications that you need to have to dish out drugs at a hospital pharmacy tbf...They are cutting down on the consultations that is for sure and why are they delivering the drugs all of a sudden when they didn't do that before Dunno

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali Wed May 08, 2013 8:20 am

philagain wrote:
Ali wrote:
philagain wrote:

I don't know what qualifications that you need to have to dish out drugs at a hospital pharmacy tbf...They are cutting down on the consultations that is for sure and why are they delivering the drugs all of a sudden when they didn't do that before Dunno

I think you have dispensers and pharmacists. Dispensers can measure out drugs etc but a pharmacist has to check and sign them.

Maybe it's reached a point when they realised that consultations aren't always required every time a new batch of drugs is needed by the patient, so instead of bringing everyone in ever month or whatever the consultations can safely be reduced to every 3 months (examples cos I don't know the procedure)
Ali
Ali
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 08, 2013 8:25 am

Ali wrote:
philagain wrote:
Ali wrote:

I think you have dispensers and pharmacists. Dispensers can measure out drugs etc but a pharmacist has to check and sign them.

Maybe it's reached a point when they realised that consultations aren't always required every time a new batch of drugs is needed by the patient, so instead of bringing everyone in ever month or whatever the consultations can safely be reduced to every 3 months (examples cos I don't know the procedure)

...It is every three months.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali Wed May 08, 2013 8:29 am

philagain wrote:
Ali wrote:
philagain wrote:
Ali wrote:

...It is every three months.

Well it was just an example. If research has shown it isn't necessary to see a patient every 3 months, then it is a waste of time and resources to do so. Things change but it doesn't mean they have changed for the worse.
Ali
Ali
Admin

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum